We are opening the Visible Vault and unlocking the mysteries of music by sharing some of the most requested tips, tricks, and lessons from our Visible faculty, staff, and students.
Intro: Aryn Michelle gives some quick tips on how to get started with song editing.
She breaks it down into 3 steps:
- Attitude: to have a good song editing attitude, you need to stop thinking about your songs being precious babies and start thinking of them as play-doh monsters.
- Avoid (these common mistakes): Aryn covers three common problem areas people may need to address in song editing:
- Point of View shifting problems
- Same/Same/Same melodic rhythm and range
- Mis-set lyrics
- Action: Aryn suggests places to find song feedback. Share your song with friends, family, other songwriters, or hire a professional service to get help if self-editing is not enough.
Conclusion: Remember to always do your song editing BEFORE you commit your song to a professional recording. Hopefully, with the right attitude and knowing a few things to avoid, listeners can take action and seek quality feedback as they edit their songs.