19 Feb Song Editing with Aryn Michelle
Quick Tips to Get Started with Song Editing
We are opening the Visible Vault and unlocking the mysteries of music by sharing some of the most requested tips, tricks, and lessons from our Visible faculty, staff, and students.
Intro: Aryn Michelle gives some quick tips on how to get started with song editing.
She breaks it down into 3 steps:
- Attitude: to have a good song editing attitude, you need to stop thinking about your songs being precious babies and start thinking of them as play-doh monsters.
- Avoid (these common mistakes): Aryn covers three common problem areas people may need to address in song editing:
- Point of View shifting problems
- Same/Same/Same melodic rhythm and range
- Mis-set lyrics
- Action: Aryn suggests places to find song feedback. Share your song with friends, family, other songwriters, or hire a professional service to get help if self-editing is not enough.
Conclusion: Remember to always do your song editing BEFORE you commit your song to a professional recording. Hopefully, with the right attitude and knowing a few things to avoid, listeners can take action and seek quality feedback as they edit their songs.