Coronavirus Update from Visible Music College
We appreciate the challenges and concerns that families are facing during this time with COVID-19. Our primary goal and intention is to both care for students and staff and help ensure that students will be able to complete their classes and programs this semester.
3-17-20 Academic Update
I know there is a lot of information coming out from different sources. We are trying to ensure we communicate (and over-communicate in some ways) vital information that is updating daily as circumstances develop. Please know that the staff and instructors are here for you students and we are working to account for as many potential issues that might arise. As always please reach out with any questions you have.
Below are details on
- Classes Resuming
- Remote Access
- Performance Cancellations
The following are measures we will follow based on guidelines given by the government to support the global effort to reduce the rate of infection of COVID-19 and help save as many lives as we’re able.
So, here is the latest academic update regarding classes at Visible:
- We will resume classes this coming Monday, March 23.
- We will complete all Spring Semester classes in either live-remote delivery or online format only.
- There will be no in-class meetings for the rest of this semester.
- Classes that were taught live will be moved to remotely delivered content over Zoom with the same meeting times.
- A small number of cases may transition from live to online or independent studies and instructors will let students know about those particular cases.
- Please check-in with your instructors with questions about your classes and check the dashboard and emails daily.
- Registration for Summer and Fall will proceed as scheduled. Registration opens March 30.
We are cancelling all performances UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE.
- The Modern Music Department Chair, Simon Alexander, will send a separate communication to seniors and music students with additional details and planning options around concerts and juries as well as the remaining IndieVisible Concert redirects.
- We know it is a disappointment and will require creative redirects
- We will ensure that all classes and credits from this spring semester can be counted and earned for all students.
Regarding Remote Access to classes
- Students need to make sure they have good internet access available depending on whether they choose to stay in housing or stay home. (Housing options and requirements are coming from Office of Students – look for emails)
- Students need to make sure they have a device (computer, phone, ipad) to join the classes remotely.
- Each class will have a Zoom link In the LINK section of the Course Populi Page.
- Instructors are meeting this week to get training and strategies on course adaptations for remote delivery.
- For students who are choosing to not live on campus for the second half of the semester, we encourage you (if able) to get textbooks they may have left there as soon as possible. Look for email from the Student Life Team regarding housing updates.
- Instructors will be working to make sure copies of reading material are available to students who will not be able to retrieve their textbooks due to travel restrictions.
- At this time, Visible will not be able to mail books to students, but you can:
- Ask a friend to retrieve your books for you, and arrange shipping
- Use scanned copies of chapters made available by instructors
- There publishers and websites working to make 6 weeks free of digital e-book, so look for those websites like this one: https://studentresponse.redshelf.com/
Please know that the Academic Office, the Department Chairs, the Division Heads and Instructors are working to make the best of the circumstances. As we move to a more virtual community, I am hopeful that these live remote classes over zoom will allow more connection with peers and instructors than the less connected and purely online classes.
Resting In His Grace and Mercies,
Dr. Cam Harvey
VP of Academics
3-17-20 Housing Update
Memphis Student Housing Update
Chicago Student Housing Update
Dallas Student Housing Update